Trip to Adams State Universiy

Monday, October 13, 2008

Friday afternoon we farmed Austin out to a neighbor, dropped Tyler at his buddy's house, loaded up Ryan's girlfriend and headed to Adams State College in Alamosa for Ryan's first college concert (well, there were some other kids in it too!). It's really kind of silly as the college is only 2.5 hours from here, but for me and my back it was an epic journey!
I packed everything but the kitchen sink, checked at least a dozen times to make sure I had everything, especially my pills - can't forget those!!
As we pulled into the meeting place, the corner "Loaf n Jug", Kylie was on the phone trying to get Ryan to hurry faster... After all, we hadn't seen him in almost a week!! She and I were both out of the car the moment his weirdly angled driving lamps came into view and as he stepped from his car my gut turned again as I watched him desparately embrace his own true love and leave me standing there, looking stupid, as usual! lol I don't think I'll ever get used to sharing him with this interloper, ummm, well it's not really sharing - she's got him and I don't... that's motherhood! It's a good thing that I really like her!! =D
When we arrived at his hotel room, I mean, dorm room, we started to unpack and take inventory of what we would wear to this monumentous occassion - for all of my thourough packing and careful checks and re-checks, Roger ended up without his shirt, and me without my trousers!! ugh! Everyone ended up being in extremely casual attire, so we fit in just fine - again proving that I worry too much and pack way too much!
It was a great concert, even if I did only capture the top of my darling's bobbing and weaving crown of dark tresses! He sounds so much more polished now than when they ruled the small high school of Cotopaxi, Colorado, so I guess the college courses are working :)
It's really pretty sad though that I can never get good footage - for years other parents nodd warmly at me as I arrive at concerts and events with massive electronics in tow, knowing that the most precious moments of their children's school lives are being safely preserved by the lady that always has the best of the best in HSN home video recording equipment!
I know they wonder why I've not complied with their many requests for copies of the events, but I am sure that I would be totally exiled from future school functions if they only knew! Not to mention, when your oldest son is one of the best bass players in the State of Colorado and his best friend the best drummer of the Western U.S., get to 'jammin', the camera is not going to be steady!! I'm deathly afraid to even look at those, but the sound came out good! ;->
After the concert we went back to the dorm and made ready for a good night's sleep - Ryan had managed to scrounge up a mattress from David's room and took the 'drapes' off of the windows for our covers. We would assuredly have the best rest ever! Roger and I haven't slept "side by side" in over 9 years as we have a massive California King bed that assures we will never bump into each other, but this night we would sleep on the smallest twinmattress I'd ever seen and quite possibly get reacquainted in the most inhumane manner! I wisely commandeered the inside of the mattress that was against the foot of Ryan's humongous bed. I guess throughout the night Roger found out how cold the floor in a dorm room can be and finally ended up at 1am, resting comfortably on a nice hard cafe' chair. I didn't notice, I wasunconscious! At 5:30am I was roused by my loving man holding a luke -warm cup of Micky D's exotic brew and, what I'm sure was, 1200 tiny packs of sugar. He knows me well! I haven't slept in my clothes in some time and remember now that it was a wise thing to grow out of when I was quite small! It was an experience and I dare say that the next time(?!?!) I will sell something and get a room!!
So I'm back home now, safe in my sweats and medic scrubs. I've been beyond sore today, but am still victorious in knowing that we 'did good' and my empty bank account made a young man look good, once more, in front of his friends.
Spare me monthly concerts ASU, please! Now, back to work! =D

0 Comments: